Monday, December 01, 2003

Hot Stove Hoop-de-doo

It's safe to assume any baseball fan now knows that Curt Schilling is now a member of the Boston Red Sox. Schilling going to the Sox doesn't bother me nearly as much as the sleazy way the Diamondbacks went about dealing him. The message was clear though: most teams do NOT want to deal with the Yankees. Arizona asks the Yankees for their two best young stars (Soriano and Johnson) for a 37 year old pitcher, and then accepts that ehhh package from Boston instead. Hell, if it was really about Richie Sexson, you'd think the Yankees could have gotten him for Arizona too. Oh well, I'll just have to root for the Sox rotation physically breaking down next year, which isn't really a very far-fetched idea, considering the health of Pedro and Schilling over the years. To be honest, I've never liked Schilling, he always seemed like a bit of an egocentric redneck (hmm, sorta like the Rocket?), and now I like him even less. It was pretty hilarious to hear yet another athlete talk about how "...it's not about the money." Why do they even bother with that one anymore? What's it about then, the dental plan?

Now the word is that Sheffield is going to the Yankees , which I have no problem with. Ideally, I'd like a centerfielder so they could move Bernie to LF (I love Bernie, but his range is diminishing each year and his arm has never been worth a damn), but I can live with a Matsui-Williams-Sheffield outfield. Of course, the rumor is that Williams will become a DH, which would mean dealing Nick Johnson. This idea I really don't like--not only do I really like Johnson (and his steadily growing OBP), but given Giambi's health woes, do you really want to get rid of your younger, better-fielding first baseman? I suppose I could live with dealing Nick the Stick if he brought back Vasquez or Colon, but I dunno...Oh well, I have faith that the Yankees won't do anything 1980s-style stupid and will put a terrific team out there.

No comments: