Wednesday, April 07, 2004

And it's not even Easter...

Not that I had any doubt about it, but the sports media and New York fans are going to really try my patience more than ever this season. The Yankees lost in Tampa Bay last night, with Mike Mussina delivering a second sub-par (well, crappy) performance. Am I concerned? No. They've played THREE games and they haven't even been in New York yet. I think most rational fans would agree with me, and while I'm sure Red Sox fans get a nice chuckle when Tampa spanks the Yankes, I doubt many of them really think it's a sign of anything (any more than Yankees fans should read anything into Baltimore beating Boston the other night). However, it's become apparent that now more than ever, every Yankees loss will be greeted with an unhealthy does of Chicken Little behavior. Read the New York papers (especially the Post and News), listen to callers on WFAN or, worse still, read some posts by fans on the Yankees usenet group, alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees. To believe those crackpots, Mussina's done and the team is in DEEP TROUBLE! Ha! It's amazing how many people have the whole Jerome from Manhattan mentality. I can't imagine these people were watching the team before 1996.

No comments: