Thursday, April 08, 2004

Opening Day

Sorry for the lack of an update...I was in Manhattan yesterday, had a slightly hectic morning today and now I'm busy watching the Yankees and White Sox, live from the big ballyard in the Bronx. Thus far....Vazquez looks terrific, love the movement he's getting...the Yankees offense keeps missing its chance to get in a knockout punch, but this is clearly a temporary problem--these guys get on base like crazy and will score a ton of runs...A-Rod is a really excellent baseball player, good baseball IQ as well as his obvious ability in the field and at the plate; I'm really happy I'll finally get to watch him play everyday...Jeter, while I love him and think he's criminally underrated by the Anti-Jeter people, is really a cruddy defensive SS; his reactions to the ball off the bat are getting worse...that said, once a play is in motion, there are few players I'd rather have on my team on the field...I know for some of you that will make absolutely no sense, but others may catch my drift.

Things You Didn't Know About...
Yankee Stadium

In stadium opener in 1923, Babe Ruth homered, then later streaked across the field during the 9th inning

Built on top of ancient Indian burial ground. Resulting ghosts allegedly tormented Yankees pitcher Ed Whitson during his tenure with the team.

Following his death in 1948, Babe Ruth's body laid in state at the Stadium. In 1984, the Yankees did the same with Toby Harrah, despite his still being alive and in the Yankee lineup.

Hall of Fame shortstop and beloved announcer Phil Rizzuto lived in a tent Monument Park for several years in the 1960s.

During WWII, hot dogs were replaced by hot Spam sandwiches

Yankee great Mickey Mantle once drove a Cadillac through the centerfield wall




No comments: