Monday, October 13, 2003

Fenway to Heaven

Ahhh, sweet Monday. I know most people don't see it that way, but I work all weekend, so Monday is a relaxing day off for me. I sleep late and goof off. Right now I'm just drinking coffee and listening to a Led Zeppelin bootleg from Germany in 1973. It's pretty good, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing. I've spent such a huge chunk of my adolescent and adult life making fun of Stairway To Heaven that now I actually really enjoy it. Perhaps its just all the soulless dance-pop and rap-metal of today that makes me appreciate a statement as wonderfully goofy and grandiose as Stairway (and Zeppelin in general for that matter). How many bands were able to be so brilliant and completely overblown and ridiculous at virtually the same time? I'll never place them in the same level of the Pantheon as the Stones, Beatles & Who (or probably the Kinks, for that matter), but I've grown to love them, after being too good for them when I was 15.

Last night's Yankees-Red Sox game was rained out. At first I was thinking that this would really help Boston, as they now can skip the cruddy John Burkett and go right back to knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. However, Newsday is reporting that David Wells injured his groin during the Game 3 melee, so perhaps the unscheduled off day benefits both teams. The Yankees will turn to Mike Mussina today for Game 4 and give Wells an extra day to rest his groin (That doesn't sound right). I think the Yankees have the good gris-gris now, after beating Pedro, and will most likely win this series. That said, Boston is a hell of a team and I wouldn't count them out at all. They're extremely dangerous...and they're not bad at baseball either.

No comments: