Saturday, October 11, 2003

Full of Beans

The Yankees and Red Sox square off again this afternoon, in what is being hyped as an all-time classic matchup between two of the greatest pitchers of all time, not to mention the two best pitchers in Boston Red Sox history, Pedro Martinez and Roger Clemens. Frankly, when this much attention is paid to the two starters, I always assume nothing will go to plan, both starters will get knocked out early and we'll wind up with a 10-9 game. However, it is entirely possible we'll see a real gem. Mike Lupica writes that it is the biggest Yanks-Sox game since the Bucky Dent homer game on October 2, 1978. I think most people give Boston the edge today, as Pedro at his best is, well, the best, and Roger's had his struggles when returning to Fenway Park. My gut tells me they're wrong, though. The Yankees have had a fair amount of success against Pedro since that night a few years ago in Yankee Stadium when he struck out what seemed like 47 batters and pitched a one-hitter. That doesn't mean they knock him around the park, they just tend to do enough to win, and I think Clemens comes through today with a very solid, gutsy performance. I'm probably way, way off, but I think the Yanks win today and really take charge of this series. We'll see.


Elsewhere, I was happy to find out that the alt.binaries.gdead newsgroup on usenet was posting a spiffy remaster of the Grateful Dead's show on September 14, 1988, at Madison Square Garden in NYC. This wasn't a particularly special night for Jerry and the boys, but it was my second-ever Grateful Dead show, and it brings back nice memories.
Gotta scoot...

No comments: