Monday, October 20, 2003

While You Were Gone...

I haven't updated in a couple days, I realize. I'm sorry about that, but I was working like a dog and just didn't have a blog in me. As you know, the Yankees beat Boston and are now in the World Series against the Florida Marlins. The Yankees won 6-1 last night, behind a brilliant performance by Andy Pettitte and now the series is even at 1-1. Hideki Matsui gave Pettitte an early lead to work with by bashing a 3 run homer in the bottom of the first. Godzilla is having a terrific post-season and seems like he's been a nice fit with the team. He's easy to root for. I like the Yankees to win the series in 6 games, but only a fool would discount the Marlins.

I keep reading comments by Sox and Cubs fans on the internet (and in columns by Sox & Cubs leaning columnists) about how terrible this NY-FLA World Series is, and how we Yankee fans had better be happy now, because NO ONE WILL WATCH. My response is always the same... "So f'in what?" I'm supposed to feel guilty that my team won because it's assumed that Boston-Chicago would have done a bigger number? I couldn't care less, and why should I? My team is in the World Series, I could give a rat's ass about what the neutral fan's dream match-up was. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Yankees-Cubs (which also would have been a ratings monster), but here we are, its Florida, and they earned it, as did the Bombers. Get over it.

I'm waking up with a cup of coffee and Husker Du's Zen Arcade. It's a nice bracing start to my day. Speaking of rock'n'roll, Joe Queenan had an amusing and on-target review of a new coffee table oral history of the Rolling Stones in yesterday's NY Times. Another Stones book I'll have to own eventually.

I'm trying to come up with some Game 1 & 2 haiku....give me a little time.

No comments: