Friday, October 24, 2003

Up Against The Wall, Motherf*@#er

The Marlins kicked the Yankees butt last night, 6-4. David Wells had to leave after one inning with back spasms, and Jose Contreras wasn't really ready for his surprise long appearance. The Yankees made it close at the end, and Bernie Williams hit a drive that would have easily been a game-tying 2-run homer in Yankee Stadium. Alas, in the hideous, cavernous Pro Player Stadium, it was merely a long out at the wall. Let me tell you, whether Florida or New York wins this series, I really don't ever need to see Pro Player Stadium again. The Marlins now lead 3 games to 2, needing only a split in the Bronx this weekend. It won't be easy though, the Yanks will have Mussina and Pettitte pitching on full rest. The Marlins do well against left-handed pitching, but c'mon--these aren't league average lefties. The fickle media has now gone from assuming the Yankees would win in a laugher 2 days ago to assuming the Marlins are going to easily upend the stiff Yankees. It's pretty funny. You have to like the Marlins' chances in the Bronx, especially with the cool, confident way they're playing, but I'll stick with my Yankees prediction, just to be consistent. I had thought Yanks in 6, so now that has to be Yanks in 7. If the Yankees do lose, I think Torre really needs to take some serious heat for pitching Jeff Weaver, who hadn't pitched in a month, in an extra-inning World Series game while his best player sat in the bullpen. I know Mariano can't pitch in EVERY game, but in an extra-inning game on the road, I want my best out there, not my mop-up man. It may cost them the series. My favorite baseball columnist, Rob Neyer, agrees. (Aaron Boone's hideous at-bats in the aforementioned game, too.)

I actually didn't see much of the game last night. I was working, bartending a party for a ladies' sailing group. I did get to watch a few foxy moms dancing around dressed in Halloween costumes, though. Considering how bad the Yankees were, its just as well.

Going away for the weekend, no posts 'til this series is over.

No comments: