Thursday, October 09, 2003

Remember, they always lose Game 7

Argggggh. The Yankees lost to the Red Sox tonight, 5-2. Actually, they got their asses handed to them. The Yankees indulged in their bizarre tradition of making a mediocre pitcher look great as Tim Wakefield totally stymied them with his knuckleball. There's nothing more frustrating than watching your team get shut down by a guy throwing a slow, fluttering, goofy looking knuckleball. The Sox fans will of course take this as another sign that this is their year. Hell, maybe it is, but I won't believe it until I see it. This is a 7 game series, and I still like the Yankees to win it...but it ain't gonna be easy.
Let me add this: I am starting to get physically ill when I have to read a Sox player quoted talking about "Red Sox Nation," or a sportswriter invoking the same term. Red Sox Nation? Give me an f'in break, pal. Red Sox Nation is....yep, you guessed it - NEW ENGLAND. Please spare me this absurd notion that we're all supposed to like the Boston Red Sox. New Englanders like them - and good for them, they're loyal, crazy fans who truly LOVE baseball. They're great for the game, honestly (although not my favorite people to spend an afternoon with). I love the Yankees because I grew up in the New York area, and at the time I first started watching baseball, they had a GREAT team full of crazy characters (i.e. Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers, Graig Nettles, Thurman Munson, Lou Piniella, et al.) There's no deeper reasoning behind it. If I had grown up in Chicago, I'd love the Cubs or the White Sox, St. Louis, the Cardinals and so on and so forth. Anyway, so while I admire the Sox tradition and fan base...enough already, I hate them and I cannot stomach the idea of them beating the Yankees in an ALCS and making the series. It makes me want to spew my supper all over my shoes. Not that I'm biased or anything.

On a wholly other note... Bob Dylan's Dear Landlord is a great freakin' song. And these new SACD/CD hybrid remasters are unfreakin'real. Zimmy's the man.

No comments: